SIMPLE MASHED POTATOES
Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes, desired amount (about 1-2 potatoes per person)
1. Scrub and peel potatoes and cut into even-sized chunks.
2. Place potato chunks in a large pot and barely cover with water.
3. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook until all potatoes are tender (about 15-20 minutes.)
4. Reserve 1 to 2 cups of the potato cooking water, depending on the amount of potatoes used. Drain potatoes.
5. Mash potatoes by hand with a potato masher, adding back in cooking water as needed, to he desired consistency. If you prefer whipped potatoes, process drained cooked potatoes in a food processor just until smooth, adding in reserved cooking water as needed.
For increased fiber and nutrients, leave potatoes unpeeled.
For richer potatoes, replace some of the added cooking water with heated unsweetened, plain non-dairy milk (e.g. soy, oat, rice milk.)
For Simple Garlic Mashed Potatoes – add cloves of roasted garlic to potato chunks before mashing or whipping.