1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 Tbs. soy sauce
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
½ tsp. ground black pepper
9 cups vegetable broth
28 oz. canned tomatoes
1/3 cup tomato paste
8 corn tortillas, torn into pieces
1/3 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1. No-oil saute* onions and garlic until onions are translucent.
2. Add soy sauce, cumin, oregano and pepper and stir over heat for 1 minute.
3. Add broth, tomatoes and tomato paste and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
4. Add tortillas and simmer for 10 more minutes, or until tortillas are falling apart.
5. Blend soup in pot with an immersion blender (or lightly blend in blender).
6. Stir in chopped cilantro and add salt and/or hot sauce to taste.
*No-oil sauteing – sauteing or stir-frying without added fat.
Heat pan or pot over medium or medium-high heat and add chopped onions and/or other vegetables.). Cook, stirring, until vegetables begin to brown and stick slightly. Add 1 or 2 tablespoons of liquid (water, vegetable broth, wine, etc.) and continue cooking and stirring, adding just enough water to keep vegetables from sticking, to desired doneness.