CREAM OF BROCCOLI SOUP
Serves 4 -6.
1 head broccoli
2 leeks, white and pale green parts only
2 white or yellow potatoes, scrubbed and cubed
4 cups vegetable broth (no added oil variety)
salt, to taste
1. Clean leeks well under running water and slice white and pale green parts only. Chop onion.
2. In stockpot, no-oil saute* leeks and onion until translucent and beginning to soften.
3. Cut stems off broccoli and trim off tough bottom portion of stem. Peel off outer layer of stems and cut stems into ¼” rounds. Separate broccoli florets into bite-size pieces.
4. Add broth, potatoes and broccoli stem pieces to pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, lower heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Add broccoli florets and cook another 7-10 minutes, until all vegetables are tender.
6. Puree soup, in batches, in a blender until creamy. (WARNING: Always use caution when blending hot liquids.) Soup can also be blended in the pot with an immersion blender.
7. Serve and add salt to taste at table.
*No-oil sauté – sautéeing or stir-frying without added fat.
Heat pan or pot over medium or medium-high heat and add chopped onions and/or other vegetables.). Cook, stirring, until vegetables begin to brown and stick slightly. Add 1 or 2 tablespoons of liquid (water, vegetable broth, wine, etc.) and continue cooking and stirring, adding just enough water to keep vegetables from sticking, to desired doneness.