Cauliflower Potato Red Lentil Curry
Serves 8 to 10.
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch piece fresh ginger, grated or finely minced, or ½ tsp. dried ginger
4 cups vegetable broth
1 cup water
2 cups dried red lentils
28 oz. can or package chopped tomatoes
2 tsp. cumin seeds
2 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. curry powder
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
¼ – ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
1 medium head cauliflower, broken into bite-size florets
2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 cup frozen green peas
½ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped (optional)
1. In large stockpot, no-oil sauté* onion until translucent.
2. Add minced garlic and fresh ginger, if using, and cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
3. Add broth, water, tomatoes, potatoes, red lentils, cumin seeds, turmeric, dried ginger (if using), curry powder, red pepper flakes and soy sauce. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add cauliflower pieces, recover pot and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until cauliflower, potatoes and lentils are all tender.
5. Remove pot from heat and add frozen peas and cilantro. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
6. Serve with brown basmati rice.
* No-oil sautéing - sautéing or stir-frying without added fat.
Heat pan or pot over medium or medium-high heat and add chopped onions and/or other vegetables.). Cook, stirring, until vegetables begin to brown and stick slightly. Add 1 or 2 tablespoons of liquid (water, vegetable broth, wine, etc.) and continue cooking and stirring, adding just enough water to keep vegetables from sticking, to desired doneness.