BAKED EGGPLANT MARINARA
2-1/2 lbs. eggplant (about 2-3 medium eggplants)
2 25oz. jars marinara pasta sauce, no added-oil variety (e.g. Walnut Acres Low Sodium Fat Free Tomato and Basil®, or Whole Foods’ 365 Organic Fat Free Organic Pasta Sauce®, or an equivalent amount of homemade no added-oil sauce
1 cup cornmeal
½ cup non-dairy milk, unsweetened (e.g. oatmilk or soymilk)
2 tsp. yellow or brown mustard
2 Tbs. + 1 Tbs. nutritional yeast, divided (optional)
1 tsp. dried basil
¼ tsp. dried oregano
¼ tsp. black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper, if available, to prevent sticking.
2. Cut off stems and tops from eggplants and cut eggplants into ½ inch slices.
3. In a small bowl, combine non-dairy milk with mustard and stir or whisk well.
4. In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, basil, oregano, 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (if using) and black pepper.
5. Dip each eggplant slice in milk mixture and then dredge each side, lightly, in seasoned cornmeal. Place coated slices in a single layer on cookie sheets and place in oven.
6. Bake until eggplant slices are golden brown and tender, about 45 minutes. Remove from oven and reduce oven to 350 degrees.
7. Cover the bottom of a large, lidded oven-safe casserole dish with a layer of marinara sauce. Add a layer of the baked eggplant slices and cover with another layer of sauce. Continue layering eggplant slices and marinara sauce, ending with a layer of sauce. Sprinkle top with 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast (if using).
8. Place the covered casserole in oven and bake at 350 degrees until heated through and bubbly, about 30-40 minutes.