POTATO PANCAKES (LATKES)
This tasty no-oil version of a traditional favorite is perfect for a weekend breakfast, dinner side dish or healthy Hanukkah celebration.
Serves 4 to 6.
2 lbs frozen shredded potatoes/hashbrowns (no added oil variety) or 2 lbs fresh potatoes, peeled and shredded
2 cups oat flour or oatmeal processed to consistency of course flour
2 onions, minced
1¼ cups water
1. Preheat cast iron griddle or large skillet over medium heat.
2. In a large bowl, combine and mix oat flour and water. Add potatoes and minced onions and stir to mix all ingredients well.
3. Use a spoon to scoop potato mixture, enough to make pancakes 2 to 3 inches across, place on hot griddle and flatten with spatula. Several pancakes can be cooked at once if you have enough room on griddle or pan.
4. Cook pancake until bottom is golden brown, flip, and cook until second side is golden and lightly crispy.
5. As pancakes are done, place them on an oven-proof plate, sprinkle lightly with salt (optional), and keep in a warm oven (200 degrees) until ready to serve.
Suggestion: Serve with applesauce.