1-1/2 cups non-dairy milk (e.g. oat, soy, rice, almond, hemp – no added-oil varieties)
1-1/2 Tbs. vinegar (white or apple cider)
1/3 cup applesauce, unsweetened
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup buckwheat or barley flour
3 Tbs. sugar or other dry sweetener
1 Tbs. ground flaxseed (optional)
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 9×9 inch pan with parchment paper for easy removal of baked cornbread.
2. Combine non-dairy milk, vinegar and applesauce.
3. In a separate bowl, combine all remaining dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
4. Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and stir gently just until ingredients are combined. Do not overmix.
5. Pour batter into baking pan and place in preheated oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until cornbread is lightly browned.
For Blueberry Cornbread – after all ingredients are combined, fold in 1 cup of frozen blueberries. Follow step 5, above, but increase total baking time by 5 minutes.