Apple-Cherry Crisp variation shown.
4 tart apples (e.g. Granny Smith) peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
16 oz. bag frozen blueberries
1 ½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/3 cup wheat germ
1/3 cup maple syrup
¼ tsp. cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Peel, quarter, core and thinly slice the apples.
3. In large oven-safe lidded casserole dish, layer ½ of the sliced apples. Add all the frozen blueberries and top with the remaining apple slices. Don’t worry if the fruit fills the dish to the top, the fruit will shrink as it cooks.
4. Cover dish and bake for 35 minutes. While fruit is baking, combine oats, wheat germ, cinnamon and maple syrup in a bowl and stir until well mixed.
5. After 35 minutes, remove dish from oven and top fruit with the oat topping. Return casserole dish to the oven and bake, uncovered, until the topping is crisp and lightly browned and the fruit is soft, about 25-30 minutes.
6. Let cool slightly and serve. To keep the crisp topping crispy it is best not to refrigerate before serving.
Tart cherries can be substituted for the blueberries for an Apple-Cherry Crisp.