“ . . . the more plant based your diet is, the healthier you will be.” Matthew Lederman, MD and Alona Pulde, MD
“There are virtually no nutrients in animal-based foods that are not better provided by plants.” T. Colin Campbell, PhD
- vegetables - potatoes, corn, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant, mushrooms, squash, sweet potatoes, kale, onions, peppers, scallions, bok choy, etc.
- fruits – berries, oranges, bananas, apples, melons, grapes, pears, kiwis, grapefruits etc.
- grains - rice, oats, wheat, barley, millet, quinoa, etc.
- beans, peas, lentils - black, pinto, kidney, garbanzo, butter, cannellini beans, soybeans, split green peas, black-eyed peas, brown lentils, red lentils, etc.
- nuts, seeds - walnuts, almonds, peanuts, hemp seeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds, brazil nuts, etc.
- herbs, spices – garlic, basil, cilantro, thyme, chipotle pepper, cinnamon, cumin, bay leaves, turmeric, cardamom, black pepper, paprika, coriander, rosemary, etc.
- meat - no chicken, fish, beef, pork, lamb, turkey, seafood, etc. “Anything with a face or a mother.” Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr., MD
- dairy products - milk, cheese, yogurt, butter, cream cheese, sour cream, ice cream, cottage cheese, whey protein
- eggs - whole eggs or egg whites